12 November 2012
Box Chooses Platform Equinix as Key Element in Growing Global Infrastructure
Leverages Equinix to accelerate performance globally and power expansion
REDWOOD CITY, CALIF. — 12 November 2012 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data centre company, today announced that Box is leveraging Platform Equinix™ as a key part of its growing enterprise-grade infrastructure, which, according to research firm Neustar, delivers up to 10 times faster upload speeds than competitive solutions. Equinix worked with Box to develop a comprehensive strategy for distributing its growing global network, enabling Box to achieve a 60 percent increase in performance, make its service easier to access for its growing global customer base.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Platform Equinix comprises a global footprint of International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centres and a global marketplace where companies connect to their customers and partners to form critical business ecosystems. Box initially moved its infrastructure into an Equinix Silicon Valley facility and recently added infrastructure in Equinix data centres around the globe including Chicago, Ashburn, Va., Amsterdam, Sydney, Hong Kong and Tokyo.
- By choosing Platform Equinix, Box is able to accelerate its growth by safeguarding its infrastructure, improving performance and providing direct connections to its digital supply chain.
- With its service maturing and the number of customers and employees increasing, Box sought a top-tier data centre platform as a critical foundation for growth. Specifically, Box was able to distribute its global network of nodes, which are the mission-critical elements of Box’s infrastructure, including the Box Accelerator, which launched in August of 2012. Equinix’s ability to support rapid global expansions is helping Box deliver better results to both businesses and consumers.
- Headquartered in Los Altos, Calif., privately held Box provides a secure content-sharing platform for more than 14 million individuals and 140,000 businesses, including 92 percent of the Fortune 500.
- Stefan Apitz, vice president of Operations, Box:
“With Equinix, we know we’ll get consistently high performance and reliability across our data centres. In addition, having our largest customers just a cross connect away helps us forge stronger business relationships. Other colocation sites give you four walls. Equinix is a partner that cares about our business and helps us connect with a global marketplace of partners and customers.”
- Chris Sharp, general manager, cloud and content for Equinix:
“The world’s top carriers, networks and ISPs are accessible through Equinix IBX data centres throughout the globe. This allows Box to choose the locations and networks they require to achieve these superior performance results and deliver to their customers a better experience.”
- Equinix/Box webinar: “Best Practices for Delivering Faster, More Reliable Cloud Applications”
- AWS Direct Connect at Equinix
Equinix, data centre, IBX, colocation, Box
Founded in 2005, Box provides a secure content sharing platform that both users and IT love and adopt. Content on Box can be shared internally and externally, accessed through iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and Windows 8 applications, among others, and extended to partner applications such as Google Apps, NetSuite and Salesforce. Headquartered in Los Altos, CA, Box is a privately held company and is backed by venture capital firms Andreessen Horowitz, Bessemer Venture Partners, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Emergence Capital Partners, General Atlantic, Meritech Capital Partners, NEA, Scale Venture Partners and U.S. Venture Partners, and strategic investors salesforce.com and SAP. To learn more about Box, visit www.box.com.
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centres. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 30 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc. International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.