3 March 2010
Equinix Extends Its Leadership in Energy Efficient Data Centers
Earns LEED Certification for Silicon Valley Data Center
FOSTER CITY, CA - March 3, 2010 - Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), a provider of global data center services, today announced that its SV2 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center has earned the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The latest accreditation extends Equinix's global leadership in operating energy efficient data centers, and builds on the company's history of innovative programs designed to help enterprises reduce their carbon footprint.
LEED is an internationally recognized green building certification system. It provides third-party verification that a building or community was designed and built using strategies aimed at improving performance across a range of metrics, including energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions reduction, improved indoor environmental quality and stewardship of resources.
The SV2 IBX data center received LEED certification under the existing building program following the expansion and green retrofit of the Equinix IBX, completed in mid-2009. The retrofit included the installation of air-side economizers, fans incorporating variable frequency drives (VFDs) and LED light fixtures and occupancy sensors, among other efficiency procedures. In total, the retrofit has resulted in more than four million kWh in energy savings annually, and will pay for itself in under four years. The success of the retrofit project also drew recognition from the Silicon Valley Leadership Group, which in June 2009 awarded the IBX a Silicon Valley Power Energy Innovator Award for its energy-saving design.
Other examples of Equinix's energy efficient data center leadership around the world include:
- Being the first data center operator in Silicon Valley to be certified as a �green business' by the County of Santa Clara's Bay Area Green Business Program.
- Offering enterprise customers in Europe the ability to calculate their CO2 footprint and identify projects to offset data center energy consumption through its European Carbon Offset program.
- Receiving certification from Naturemade Star, the Swiss label for green power production and green electricity products, that its four IBX data centers in Switzerland operate using 100% green energy.
- Winning the inaugural Green Award at the 2008 Data Centers Europe conference for its efforts to advance energy efficiency.
- Participating in Singapore's NEWater program, a joint initiative between Singapore's Public Utilities Board (PUB) and the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) aimed at studying the suitability of using reclaimed water as a source of raw water to supplement Singapore's water supply.
- Achieving energy savings of up to 30% at the Equinix SG2 IBX data center located in Singapore through automatic control of high efficiency fans as dictated by standby operation, room cooling load or underfloor static pressure.
- Using air-side economizers to provide free cooling and partial free cooling during the winter months at the Equinix SY2 IBX data center in Sydney, Australia.
“Earning LEED certification is another example of our commitment to advancing energy efficient data center operations and further demonstrates the efficiency gains that can be achieved through innovative thinking and strategic upgrades to an existing facility,” said Dave Pickut, CTO, Equinix. “This commitment carries through to all new Equinix IBX data centers, as well, which are designed in accordance with our best-practice guidelines. We're very proud of the fact that retrofit projects, such as SV2, and recently designed IBX data centers, such as those in New York and Sydney, have achieved industry-leading efficiency ratings.”
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) provides global data center services that ensure the vitality of the information-driven world. Global enterprises, content and financial companies, and network service providers rely upon Equinix's insight and expertise to protect and connect their most valued information assets. Equinix operates 49 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers across 18 markets in North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific.
Important information about Equinix is routinely posted on the investor relations page of its website located at www.equinix.com/investors. We encourage you to check Equinix's website regularly for the most up-to-date information.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc. International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.