9 April, 2014
Portware Deploys in Equinix’s New York Data Center
Trade automation pioneer chooses Equinix for enhanced disaster recovery, capacity and scalability support
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - April 9, 2014 -Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that Portware LLC, the first and only global provider of multi-asset trade automation solutions powered by artificial intelligence, has selected Equinix’s New York International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center (NY5) to provide capacity and scalability support for its leading trading platform. The New York data center deployment and a planned expansion into an Equinix data center in Chicago (CH1) provide Portware with an enhanced disaster recovery strategy, capacity and scalability support for its customers, as well as the ability to expand into Europe and Asia.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Portware enables trading desks across the world to navigate a highly complex execution landscape. Portware clients include tier-1 institutional asset managers, hedge funds, pension funds and broker dealers who manage more than $6 trillion of trading volume. For this reason, Equinix’s globally dispersed network of data centers, capacity and scalability were imperative to Portware when choosing a data center provider.
- As Portware operates its own cloud, a key component to meeting its customer requirements is Equinix’s ability to handle critical infrastructure on the cloud. Through Equinix’s secure cross connects, Portware can ensure its customers benefit from low latency, extra reliability and outstanding network performance for the cloud-based applications and mission-critical transactions vital to their success.
- Upon expanding to Equinix’s Chicago data center, Portware will have expanded disaster recovery capabilities in case either New York or Chicago becomes unavailable.
- Equinix is home to a mature financial services ecosystem that includes the largest collection of exchanges and trading platforms, as well as top market data vendors, a myriad of service providers and hundreds of buy-side and sell-side firms that form a broad-based marketplace of electronic trading and financial technology services.
- Vincent Aniello, global head of infrastructure, Portware:
"The efficiency and cost benefits of deploying in the cloud are a main reason why the overwhelming majority of new Portware clients, as well as several existing clients, have chosen our cloud deployment model over the past 18 months. Portware continues to invest to ensure our clients enjoy optimal performance, reliability and flexibility in any Portware deployment. Equinix serves as a trusted partner that helps us deliver a globally consistent level of quality and service, and ensure we continue to offer our clients the most powerful, globally available and innovative trading solution on the market."
- Stewart Orrell, managing director, global financial services, Equinix:
"Our relationship with Portware speaks to the growing trend of financial services companies connecting to, and asset managers’ increased comfort level with leveraging the cloud. By deploying in our data centers, Portware joins hundreds of other financial firms already deployed among our extensive community of networks and cloud providers, that all benefit from the rich interconnectivity opportunities on Platform Equinix."
- Sang Lee, managing partner, Aite Group:
"Regulatory uncertainty, dynamic market conditions and the proliferation of trading venues and connectivity points are placing increased cost pressure on financial institutions, driving the need for robust solutions that don't break the bank. As electronic trading volumes increase and firms deploy more sophisticated, multi-asset trading strategies, they need scalable, resilient and high-performance trading platforms to accelerate time-to-market and maintain their competitive edge. Buy- and sell-side firms are now embracing managed trading services, cloud services and premier co-location centers to control costs and meet the most diverse trading needs. We expect to see a continued increase in the movement toward managed trading and cloud services throughout 2015 as firms look to expand the flexibility, speed and depth of their trading systems while keeping a firm handle on costs."
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.