March 21, 2016
Equinix invests $76 Million in a New Data Center in São Paulo, Brazil
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and SÃO PAULO, March 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix (NASDAQ: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it will build its fifth International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Brazil. The new data center in São Paulo – SP3 – will have an initial first-phase investment of $76M with the ability for up to five additional phases and is scheduled to be finished in the first quarter of 2017. SP3's nearly 2,800 cabinets will double the company's inventory in Brazil.
Earlier this month Equinix announced that it will open four new International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in Tokyo, Dallas, São Paulo and Sydney, to create more capacity for global companies to connect to their partners, customers and employees. These organic additions plus the recent acquisitions of Bit-isle in Japan and Telecity in EMEA will expand Equinix's global interconnection platform to nearly 150 data centers by the end of the year. By providing additional capacity in the coming year, Equinix continues to play a central role in advancing the digital economy's interconnected era, in which businesses are demanding increasing levels of interconnection to accelerate business performance.
Key Highlights / Facts:
- The SP3 data center brings additional data center capacity to support IT infrastructure requirements for local businesses and multi-nationals looking to expand into the Brazil market. This new capacity will address anticipated business needs for colocation projects in the State of São Paulo. Today more than 800 companies collocate in Equinix's Brazil data centers to connect to business partners and customers across their digital supply chains.
- Equinix Brazil is home to many thriving, diverse business ecosystems including networks, financial services, government and enterprise. SP3 will also have connectivity to the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ which provides direct and secure access to Microsoft Azure and Office 365, as businesses across various industries are increasingly leveraging cloud infrastructure services for their IT needs.
- SP3 will have over 215,000 sq ft of which, more than 90,000 sq ft will be colocation space. Approximately 13.3 megawatts of power will be available to customers and the data center will have a high-voltage substation and redundant lines to ensure greater reliability and stability than traditional medium-voltage lines.
- Equinix Metro Connect™ will connect SP3 with another local Equinix data center, SP2, utilizing dark fiber between the sites which will provide direct access to more than 1,150 networks and more than 6,300 companies globally at very low latencies.
- Building on recent strides that Equinix has made on its global sustainability initiative, the new São Paulo data center will use innovative cooling technology which integrates air evaporative cooling solutions and indirect free cooling in order to reduce the use of electricity by the data center's air conditioning units. SP3 will also leverage a solar energy capture system which will be used to serve the offices and common areas. By implementing the most efficient technology available in the market today, SP3 is expected to operate with a PUE below 1.35 once fully operational.
- As the result of these energy efficiencies, SP3 is seeking a minimum of LEED Silver certification in compliance with the sustainability criteria set out by the U.S. Green Building Council and will also have the Tier III Design and Facilities certifications.
- Karl Strohmeyer, president, Equinix Americas:
"We continue to see increasing market demand for interconnection and colocation in Brazil. The new SP3 facility will meet these needs while giving Brazil companies the opportunity to leverage the full scale of Platform Equinix into 40 key markets globally as business needs evolve."
- Equinix Offers Access to New Opportunity in Brazil with SP3 Data Center [blog]
- Equinix to Launch Four New Data Centers, Globally, to Further Advance IT Transformation in the Interconnected Era [press release]
- Equinix Expansion Continues With 4 New Data Centers on 4 Continents [blog]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com. Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts (Americas), Liam Rose, +1 (650) 598-6590, email@example.com; Equinix Media Contact (Brazil), Ilana Trinkenreich, + 55 21 98666-6560, firstname.lastname@example.org; Equinix Investor Relations Contacts, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, email@example.com