November 12, 2019
Equinix Opens Eighth Data Center in Sydney to Support New South Wales Digital Economy
Expanded national footprint takes Servers Australia and Anycast Networks to the digital edge
HONG KONG – November 13, 2019 – Equinix, Inc (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the opening of its eighth International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Sydney, named SY5. With an initial investment of US$160 million (approximately A$224 million), the South Sydney facility will be the largest to date for Equinix in Australia, expanding the company’s national footprint to support companies along their digital transformation journeys.
Supporting Equinix to formally open and celebrate this milestone, was Federal Member of Parliament for the seat of Kingsford Smith and the Shadow Assistant Minister for Financial Services & Shadow Assistant Minister for the Republic, the Hon. Matt Thistlethwaite MP.
A recent report commissioned by CSIRO’s Data61, the data and digital specialist data sciences arm of Australia’s national science agency, reveals digital transformation is forecast to be worth A$315 billion (over US$200 billion) for the Australian economy during the next decade. Interconnection is critical to enabling digital businesses, as shown in the Global Interconnection Index (GXI) Volume 3, an annual market study published by Equinix, which predicts Sydney’s private connectivity at the edge will grow by 49 per cent annually to 2022.
As part of Platform Equinix®, SY5 is the eighth data center for Equinix in Sydney, and the sixteenth in Australia. Equinix’s continued expansion demonstrates its investment in increasing value for local customers, providing more capacity and interconnection capability to digitally transform their businesses. Companies including Servers Australia and Anycast Networks, have selected SY5 to put their IT infrastructure at the digital edge, in order to expand into new markets, optimize networks and deliver premium services to their customers.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The SY5 IBX is located in Alexandria, about 2.5 miles (four kilometres) from Sydney’s central business district offering an initial capacity of 1,825 cabinets. The new facility will host a total colocation space of more than 260,000 square feet (approximately 25,000 square metres) and 9,225 cabinets when fully built.
- Equinix Sydney facilities enable companies to set up direct links to the continent’s two largest peering points along with direct access to: the trans-Pacific telecommunications cables network Southern Cross Cable Head; the PIPE Pacific Cable network that runs from Australia to Guam; the new submarine cable system Hawaiki that connects Australia with New Zealand, other Pacific Islands and the continental US; as well as the Australia Singapore Cable (ASC) between Australia and Singapore.
- SY5 offers a wide range of connectivity options, including Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™), which allows businesses to set up on-demand and secure connections to more than 1,800 participants across all regions around the world, including Alibaba, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, SAP Cloud, Oracle, SoftLayer and other local providers. Equinix also offers Network Edge services in Sydney, which allows companies to modernize networks virtually, within minutes, by deploying network function virtualisation (NFV) from multiple vendors to connect their digital supply chains at Equinix.
- Equinix SY5 IBX is interconnected with its seven other IBX data centers in Sydney. Customers of SY5 have access to the richest ecosystem of customers in Australia, including over 160 network service providers (NSP), 280 cloud and IT service providers, more than 75 financial services companies and over 60 content and digital media organisations. SY5 is located adjacent to SY4 with direct physical access between the buildings via a secure link bridge, creating a physical campus extension between the sites.
- Customers set to benefit from the launch of SY5 include Servers Australia, which offers solutions for cloud hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, PaaS, Iaas, DRaaS and VMWare private cloud, and built its distributed infrastructures on Platform Equinix through Australia. The company currently deploys in Equinix data centers in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane, to offer its customers fast, reliable interconnection and hosting.
- Anycast Networks, which leverages market-leading subsea and terrestrial transmission fiber networks, runs one of the most connected global networks and deploys with Equinix in locations including Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Singapore and Silicon Valley. Peering and colocation with Equinix assists Anycast Networks with their highly optimised network and delivering powerful and simple solutions.
- SY5 is part of Equinix’s committed investment of more than US$535 million (almost A$750 million) for 11 new-build or expansion projects opening in 2019 in key metros across Asia-Pacific. There are projects in Hong Kong, Melbourne, Perth, Osaka, Seoul, Shanghai, Sydney, Singapore and Tokyo.
- With the opening of SY5, Equinix has a national footprint of 16 IBX data centers across Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, Adelaide and Brisbane, with eight in Sydney.
- Today, Equinix operates 44 IBX data centers across 13 markets in Asia-Pacific. Globally, Platform Equinix comprises more than 200 IBX data centers across 53 markets and 25 countries, providing data center and interconnection services for more than 9,800 of the world’s leading businesses, including more than 50 per cent Fortune 500 companies.
- Jared Hirst, CEO, Servers Australia
“As our business continues to grow rapidly, deploying with a data center provider that enables us to expand our footprint on a national scale and connect with global customers and partners is key to maintaining our high-quality service. Thanks to our long-term partnership with Equinix, we are confident that the SY5 IBX data center and its global network will support us in continuing to offer exceptional services to our customers.”
- Tom Berryman, CEO, Anycast Networks
“Our connection to Equinix’s global network in many metros allows us to maintain our highly optimised network and continue to expand our presence in markets across the globe, growing our network constantly. The SY5 data center provides an enormous facility, and with that the opportunity for many more networks to connect to Anycast in Sydney. A facility of this scale and quality is always a hot-spot of interconnection, particularly in a market with such significant, new subsea cable systems.
- Jeremy Deutsch, President Asia-Pacific, Equinix
“Equinix is committed to continuously evolving our services to interconnect our customers at the digital edge, a critical part of digital transformation efforts of many enterprises, cloud providers and network providers. Expansions of our platform and innovations of our technology make us a trusted advisor for our customers to help accelerate their digital transformation journeys. I look forward to seeing Equinix continue our growth in Australia as part of our expansion plans in the region.”
- Glenn Uidam, Senior Director, IBX Operations, Equinix Australia
“This expansion once again demonstrates our commitment to enhancing the local digital economy by enabling digital transformation in Australia. Our vast array of services offered on Platform Equinix deliver increased value for customers, providing more capacity and interconnection capabilities for them to run more efficiently and provide more effective services for their users. We thank our customers for placing their trust in us to support their digital transformation and we look forward to continuing to work together and improve the state of doing business in Australia.”
- Equinix Sydney data centers [website]
- Equinix SY5 IBX Specifications [website]
- ECX Fabric Datasheet [website]
- Equinix Network Edge services [website]
- SY5 photo blog [blog]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. On this global platform for digital business, companies come together across more than 50 markets on five continents to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone and integrate everything they need to create their digital futures. Equinix.hk
This press release contains forward-looking statements which are based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies or new ventures we have acquired or will acquire into the Equinix platform; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to expansion into new markets; the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Media Contact (Asia-Pacific)
+852 2970 7761
Media Contact (Hong Kong)
+852 3944 5014
 AlphaBeta Advisors, Digital Innovation: Australia’s $315B opportunity – September 2018