Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The Equinix Interconnection Platform delivers global access to AWS Direct Connect in 27 business-rich markets. AWS Direct Connect bypasses the public Internet and ensures private connectivity and full integration between cloud services and business applications.
AWS Direct Connect plus Equinix Interconnection is an ideal combination that enables Hybrid cloud architectures to improve network performance, reduce operating costs and increase security.
AWS Direct Connect + Equinix Interconnection
AWS Direct Connect operating on the Platform Equinix offers unparalleled benefits for Cloud infrastructures—Orchestrate business applications and data across multiple locations with performance, security and scale.
Enhancing the value for AWS customers
Latency-sensitive applications and workloads require predicable performance and a consistent, high-quality user experience.
Deploying an Interconnection Oriented Architecture™ (IOA™) on Platform Equinix, leveraging AWS Direct Connect, delivers the following benefits:
- Predictable performance and user experience with dedicated, low-latency, high bandwidth direct connections to AWS
- Enhanced compliance by connecting privately to AWS and keeping data within region, without going over the public internet
- Hybrid cloud enablement that allows enterprises to maintain private clouds and manage sensitive data within Equinix secure data centers in proximity to AWS, while taking advantage of its flexibility, scalability and cost-savings benefits
Offering Dedicated Connections and Hosted Connections
Equinix is pleased to be a launch partner for the new AWS Direct Connect Service Delivery Program to offer the recently announced 1, 2, 5, and 10 Gbps AWS Direct Connect Hosted Connections, enabling our customers to scale high-speed, virtual interconnection to AWS in all Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™) markets worldwide.
Dedicated Connections Model: In this model, a 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps physical Ethernet port is dedicated to an organization. Each Dedicated Connection supports up to 50 Virtual Interfaces (VIFs) for greater connection scalability via a single physical port.
Hosted Connections Model: With this approach, an AWS Direct Connect partner is able to programmatically automate the network connection between an enterprise’s on premises environment, such as Equinix, to their AWS virtual private cloud (VPC) environment. Capacity management for AWS environments and workloads is as simple as adding or removing Hosted Connections on demand. Each Hosted Connection supports a single VIF and you can obtain multiple VIFs by acquiring multiple Hosted Connections.
Enterprises seeking to migrate workloads that require higher connection speeds with lower latency can rely on Direct Connect for:
- Databases (e.g., Oracle, Microsoft SQL, etc.) by leveraging AWS tools
- Migration of on-premises VMware and SAP applications (e.g., HANA) to AWS
- Hybrid/multicloud architecture for mission-critical applications, especially based on VMware and SAP
- Business continuity and disaster recovery environments
The Most Market Coverage
AWS Direct Connect services are currently offered in Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers located in Amsterdam, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, London (EU West - Ireland and EU West - London), Los Angeles, Munich, Osaka, Sao Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Washington D.C./Northern Virginia, Dubai, Helsinki, Madrid, Manchester, Paris, Warsaw, Stockholm, Miami, Rio De Janeiro, GovCloud—covering more markets than any other data center provider.
Direct Connect for AWS GovCloud is available as a Dedicated Connection in Equinix SV5, San Jose. Equinix customers in ECXF globally enabled locations can enable Direct Connect Hosted Connections for GovCloud leveraging the Equinix global network or in conjunction with the AWS Gateway network service. For additional details and best practices for Direct Connect for GovCloud please refer to the ECXF Documentation Center. Please note that direct private ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) connectivity via AWS Direct Connect is only provided via SV5.
- VMware Cloud on AWS with AWS Direct Connect and Equinix
- Principled Technologies hybrid cloud testing report
- Hybrid IT - Why Cloud Adjacency Matters
- Enabling the Hybrid Cloud
- AWS Direct Connect Service Level Agreement
- AWS Direct Connect Resiliency Recommendations
- AWS Solution Brief
Equinix is an AWS Partner Network Advanced Technology Partner and AWS Partner Network Advanced Consulting Partner.
- Accelerate private interconnection to AWS with higher speed
- Photos from AWS re:Invent 2018 in Las Vegas
- Equinix, VMware and AWS are Re-Inventing Hybrid Cloud Infrastructures
- Building a Powerful Hybrid VMware Infrastructure with VMware Cloud on AWS
- Can Colocation and Interconnection Improve Your Network Performance?